Academic Information (Graduate)

In addition to the graduate school academic requirements and policies, it is the prerogative of each graduate degree program to impose more stringent requirements. A graduate student is responsible for meeting all degree requirements in effect at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater during the term for which the student is admitted into the current degree program unless the student’s attendance at UW-Whitewater is interrupted by an absence of four or more consecutive academic sessions (including summers), in which case upon reentry, the student will be subject to the requirements in effect at that time.

General graduate school academic requirements and policies (contained in this section) may be changed by the actions of the Graduate Council. Each graduate student is responsible for adhering to all current graduate school policies. Students are apprised of updated graduate policies through the schedule of classes. Information about changes in general graduate school policies is also available at or contact the School of Graduate Studies Office.

Academic Probation

Students in degree programs who fail to maintain at least a 3.00 overall grade point average for all graduate work completed at UW-Whitewater are placed on academic probation. A student on academic probation must attain at least a 3.00 overall grade point average within the next 12 graduate units attempted at UW-Whitewater (including courses that are repeated) in order to be returned to good standing status. Failure to accomplish this will result in the student being dropped from the degree program with ineligibility to take further graduate work in that degree program.

Degree Completion Time Limit

Students have seven years in which to complete their degree program. The seven years are measured from the beginning of the term for which they are admitted at UW-W.  In the case of students transferring courses into their UW-W degree program, the seven years begins in the term of the first course to be included in the degree.  These include courses completed as a non-candidate for degree student or in a prior graduate program.

International students are afforded the same amount of time, however, they need to comply with visa requirements while they are residing in the United States.  Specifically, for those on F-1 and  J-1 student visas, this means maintaining a full course load (generally nine credits) per academic semester.

Based upon good cause, students may request an extension of this time limit. Such requests should be made in writing, should include the reasons for which the request is being made, and should be directed to the student’s degree program coordinator.  Requests for extensions not exceeding two additional years will be considered and acted upon by the faculty of the degree program or the degree program coordinator. Requests for extensions beyond two additional years will be considered, with the recommendation of the program coordinator, by the School of Graduate Studies. Requests for extensions beyond those additional two years will be considered only in cases of extreme and unavoidable hardship; such requests must also be acted upon by the Committee on Exceptions to Graduate Policy, and must carry the endorsement of the degree program coordinator. All student requests for extensions are reported by degree program coordinators to the Graduate Studies Office on the appropriate form.

Course Repeats

Graduate students are allowed to repeat at most two courses in their degree programs. Courses may be repeated only once. When a course is repeated, the original course and grade remain on the transcript; however, the last grade and units earned replace the originals and are the only ones used in computing the grade point average in the degree and emphasis. Students who have been dropped from a degree program may not use the course repeat process to gain readmission into that degree program.

Credit Restrictions

Undergraduate courses, including those taken to make up deficiencies in background or in supervised teaching, will not be counted toward the number of graduate units required for a degree. Undergraduate courses may not be used to satisfy master’s degree requirements, and graduate courses may not be used to satisfy undergraduate requirements at UW-Whitewater.

The minimum required overall grade point average for graduation will be 3.00. No course in the major or emphasis or any other required course in which a grade of below C (2.00) has been earned may be applied toward the completion of any degree. However, some programs may require higher standards.

During a semester, students may register for at most 15 units, while those on probation should not take more than 12 units. Graduate assistants must be registered for at least nine graduate units, but no more than 12 units each semester. During the 12-week summer session, students are limited to a total of 12 units. Courses taken on an audit basis are subject to the above limits.

A student may not carry more than three units of individual studies in a single term. Not more than four units in individual studies, not more than six units of special studies, and not more than a combined total of nine units of individual studies, workshops, and special studies may be applied toward the completion of a degree. Departments retain the prerogative of allowing fewer than nine of these types of units to apply toward their respective graduate degrees.

Course Retakes

A course taken for undergraduate credit may not later be changed to graduate credit. Courses taken for undergraduate credit may not be retaken for graduate credit. Although, exceptions may be granted by the student’s degree program coordinator when the field of knowledge has changed to the degree that the course content has changed substantially from the first time the student took the course to the present. Graduate courses may not be retaken unless indicated otherwise in the Graduate Catalog.