Application Process (Graduate)

Admission materials become the property of the university and are not returned to applicants or forwarded to other institutions.

All application credentials must be sent to:

School of Graduate Studies
Roseman Hall 2013
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
800 West Main Street
Whitewater, WI 53190

Electronic transcripts can be sent to:

Application to Degree Programs

To apply for admission to a graduate degree program, individuals must:

  1. Submit a completed application and $56 application fee. Available at
  2. All requests to transfer and/or apply previously taken graduate course work toward the degree requirements must be submitted at the time of application. Transfer credit forms may be obtained by visiting
  3. Submit an official degree-bearing transcript from the institution that granted the bachelor’s degree and that includes at least 60 semester hours of course work. If fewer than 60 semester hours of course work were completed at the degree-granting institution, additional transcripts will be required.
  4. In addition to the official bachelor's degree-bearing transcript, submit copies of transcripts for all undergraduate work that was applied to the bachelor's degree, if that course work was not included in the degree-bearing transcript. These transcripts may be unofficial copies and may be submitted by the applicant.
  5. Submit, directly from the granting institution, an official transcript showing completion of any master's or higher degrees.
  6. Submit, directly from the granting institution, official transcripts for any other graduate work completed, if the work is to be considered for transfer into the student's degree program. If official transcripts for previously completed graduate work are not provided at the time of application to the program, credit for that work cannot be transferred at a later date.
  7. Have official transcripts sent directly from the registrar's office at the institution where the work was completed to: School of Graduate Studies, Roseman Hall 2013, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, 800 W Main Street, Whitewater WI 53190  Electronic transcripts can be sent to:  (Note: Transcripts from UW-Whitewater will be ordered by the Graduate School.)  Transcripts faxed to UW-Whitewater or submitted personally by applicants will not be accepted.
  8. In the case of an institution in a foreign country that does not issue transcripts other than the single official copy presented to the student, a photocopy may be submitted provided that the applicant presents the official document for verification of authenticity at the Graduate Studies Office upon arrival at UW-Whitewater. A hold will be placed on their record until this is provided.

  9. Submit all other credentials (e.g., test scores, letters of recommendation, goal statement, autobiography) required for admission to the particular program for which admission is being sought.
  10. In addition, International students must:
  11. Submit an official "course-by-course" evaluation of all foreign educational credentials. Contact: Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (, World Educational Services ( or any NACES accredited evaluation service.  Approval for a different evaluator is at the discretion of the School of Graduate Studies.
  12. Arrange for an official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score to be sent directly to the School of Graduate Studies if English is not the native language. A TOEFL score of 79 internet-based is required for admission into some degree programs and is strongly recommended by others.

    Arrange for admission into the Wisconsin English Second Language Institute (WESLI) in Madison, Wisconsin. Students must complete the institute's 700 level, including academic reading and writing, and academic listening and speaking skills, with a rating of "very good" or higher (3, 3+, or 4). Students must arrange to have these results and a recommendation from WESLI forwarded to the School of Graduate Studies.


    An official International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score is acceptable. The minimum required score is 6.0.

    Applicants are exempt from the TOEFL requirement if they:

    • have earned a bachelor’s degree from an English-speaking country.
    • have attended a U.S. college or university continuously for more than one year or have a completed U.S. undergraduate degree.
    • have received an undergraduate degree from a foreign institution where English is the language of instruction.
    • have resided and worked in the U.S. for more than one year without being a student.
  13. Send a completed certification of finances form to the School of Graduate Studies to demonstrate that there is adequate financial support available during the planned period of study. Forms are located at
  14. Have a former professor send a letter of recommendation directly to the School of Graduate Studies attesting to the student's ability to pursue graduate study in the United States.


Applicants who do not enroll in graduate course work at UW-Whitewater within a calendar year of the beginning of the term for which they were admitted and students who have not enrolled in graduate course work within a calendar year are considered inactive. Inactive students and students who have completed their degree programs must update and reactivate their files by completing a reactivation form before they will be eligible to register for graduate courses. Forms are available at

Transfer of Credit

All course work, with the exception of up to twelve units, must be completed at UW-Whitewater.  Graduate programs can choose to have more restrictive policies and have discretion in determining which transfer courses they accept toward degree requirements.  Additional course work taken at other institutions may allow specific program requirements to be waived; however, no more than twelve transfer units may be applied towards the unit requirements of a degree program. Some specific consortium arrangements between UW-Whitewater and other institutions may allow more than twelve units to be completed at the participating institutions.

Units for a course completed at another institution may be transferred to UW-Whitewater and applied toward a graduate degree provided:

  1. the institution offering the course is regionally accredited at the graduate level,
  2. the course appears as a graduate course on the student's graduate transcript from the institution offering the course,
  3. the course is applicable toward a graduate degree at the institution offering the course,
  4. the course is appropriate for the student's proposed graduate degree program at UW-Whitewater,
  5. the course is not a correspondence course, nor was it taught in a format less rigorous than that for UW-Whitewater courses, and
  6. the student earned a grade of at least B (3.00) for the course (B- is less than a 3.00 and will not be transferable). All requests to apply course work taken by a student prior to being accepted into a degree program at UW-Whitewater toward the degree requirements must be included in the application for admission to the degree program.

Students who have already been admitted to a degree program here and who wish to take a course at another institution and have it transferred to UW-Whitewater, must obtain permission prior to enrolling in the course. Forms for this prior approval are available at The institution at which the student wishes to earn graduate credit may also require documentation of the student's graduate status at UW-Whitewater.

Questions for the comprehensive examination for the master's degree may be included from courses accepted in transfer to UW-Whitewater. Students should contact their degree program coordinator about this matter.

The 12 unit limit on courses taken prior to program admission does not apply to changes in emphasis within any of the degree programs.

Application Deadlines

Applications will not be processed until all of the above credentials have been received. All application material (including transcripts and other material that may be required) must be received at least 45 days prior to the start of classes to be considered for admission for a given term.

Please note: Individual programs may have earlier deadlines. Information on deadlines for specific degree programs is found in the Degree Programs section of this catalog.

In order to ensure receipt of all application materials by the deadline, applications should be submitted at least three months before the beginning of the term the applicant plans to attend. Applications received or completed fewer than 45 days prior to the start of classes will be considered for admission for the following term.

Students whose applications for program admission are pending may enroll in course work as noncandidate for degree students, but are subject to the twelve unit limit on course work that may be taken prior to the term of a program admission and then applied toward the completion of a degree.

Pending Degree-Bearing Transcripts

Application for admission will be considered during the applicant's last term of undergraduate study; however, admission will be conditional upon the applicant attaining the baccalaureate degree and meeting all the requirements for admission.


After application credentials have been evaluated, students will be notified of their admission status. If accepted into a degree program, they will be assigned an adviser and sent an admission letter. The letter will include an assigned student ID number and information on how to register for courses.


Students are assigned faculty advisers by, and generally within, their major or emphasis department. Advisers are available to help plan each student's program of study and to assist in the selection of courses before students register for classes.

Graduate students who seek state professional education licensure should also contact the Director of Licensure for current licensure requirements. See section on Admission to Professional Education in this catalog.