Graduate Non-Degree Seeking Admission Requirements

Persons who hold a bachelor’s degree or a graduate degree from a regionally accredited college or university but do not wish to be admitted to a graduate degree program are classified as NCFD students. Evidence of a bachelor’s degree or an advanced degree is required for an NCFD student. This category allows the student to enroll in graduate level courses and to receive graduate credit for this work. Departments and colleges reserve the right to restrict NCFD students from their courses.

Before attempting more than 12 units as an NCFD, a student is encouraged to file an application for a degree program. Acceptance of any course work toward a graduate degree, including course work completed as an NCFD student, is at the discretion of the department. Because a graduate degree requires that the student complete a program of courses planned in consultation with an adviser, generally two-thirds or more of the course work must be completed after formal admission to the degree program. Consequently, a maximum of twelve units taken prior to admission to the program may be applied toward the completion of a degree.

Persons attending another graduate school who wish to take graduate courses at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater and transfer them to that institution may do so. The request for guest matriculant status form is to be completed by an official of the graduate school to which the units are to be transferred. The form certifies that the student is attending the other institution and states the provisions for approval of the work taken at UW-Whitewater toward the degree at the other institution. Students may download the Request for Guest Matriculant Status form at or contact the Graduate Studies Office.

University of Wisconsin-Whitewater undergraduate students with senior status may be allowed to complete up to nine graduate units at UW-Whitewater provided they have completed at least 90 semester units with at least a 2.75 overall grade point average (or 2.90 over the last half of their course work), have the written recommendation of the department chairperson of their undergraduate major and have a graduate application on file in the Graduate Studies Office. Students may download this form at

Eligibility for this privilege must be established with the graduate program coordinator and Graduate Studies Office and is not available to seniors at other institutions or students who already possess a bachelor's degree. Seniors may not use graduate-level units to satisfy requirements for the bachelor's degree, and undergraduate fees will be charged for their graduate-level work.