Financial Aid

Financial Aid Office     
130 Hyer Hall, UW-Whitewater
Whitewater, WI 53190-1790


 Email address:


How to Apply

Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on the web at This website is designed to help students and parents complete the application process accurately, and provides an estimate for the family contribution.  

As part of the process for completing a FAFSA online, students and their parents (if the student is a dependent) will need to sign it. FAFSAs cannot be processed without the required signature(s).  Students, parents, and borrowers are required to use an FSA ID, made up of a username and password, to access U.S. Department of Education websites.  Your FSA ID is used to confirm your identity and electronically sign your federal student aid documents.  To create an FSA ID, visit .

The FAFSA must be completed after October 1 for the following fall.  The FAFSA requires accurate information, to get the most accurate information please use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool found in the FAFSA. This will take the information from your taxes and put it directly into the FAFSA for you. Inaccurate information can result in time-consuming corrections.

Submit the FAFSA and all other required documents prior to the January 1 priority date.  Applications submitted on or after January 1 may be too late for many aid programs, including work-study. Financial aid is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.

Provide an up-to-date e-mail address on the FAFSA. This allows the federal processor to communicate when the Student Aid Report, or SAR, is available for online viewing.  If you find the FAFSA contains incorrect information, use the federal student aid User ID and password to make the necessary corrections online to reduce processing time. If the student has been selected for verification, the financial aid administrator can make the corrections once all requested documentation has been received. 

Applications will not be reviewed until all required information/documents are received. The student must be accepted for admission to the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater before the application will be considered. It is the student's responsibility to submit all data on a timely basis. The status of the application can be determined by viewing the Whitewater Information Network System, or WINS, emailing or calling the Financial Aid Office at 262-472-1130.  If a student is chosen for verification by the federal processor it may be necessary to submit the student’s and/or the parent’s federal tax return transcripts. Thirty percent of all applications are selected for verification.

Students must reapply annually for all types of financial aid.

The Award Process

  • Financial aid is generally awarded for the academic year. Applicants are considered for all types of available aid they are eligible for according to state and federal regulations. The student must be enrolled at least half-time for most financial aid programs. Half-time is defined as 6 credits for undergraduates and 4.5 credits for graduates.
  • Financial aid packages are generally based on full-time status: 12 credits for undergraduates and 9 credits for graduates.  Students must inform the Financial Aid Office if they plan to carry less than a full-time credit load, as an adjustment may have to be made in their aid award. Failure to do so may result in delayed disbursements.  Unauthorized receipt of funds will require repayment.
  • Grants and/or loans will be disbursed or directly credited to the student’s account at the beginning of each term. All new students must make a minimum payment as specified by UW-Whitewater to complete registration.
  • Financial aid is awarded based on tuition and other educational expenses. Enrollment is captured on the 10th class day of the term and student financial aid will be revised accordingly. Students awarded financial aid after the 10th class day of the term will be awarded based on actual enrollment for the current term.
  • The financial aid package may be a combination of grants, loans, and employment. The actual package depends upon factors such as the student's financial need, state and federal regulations, and availability of funds. Grants are awarded first, then loans and/or work study, depending on the preference and eligibility of the student.  Students have the option of accepting all or part of the assistance offered.
  • An applicant is ineligible for aid if he/she owes a refund or repayment or is in default on any Title IV grant or loan at any institution.
  • Continued eligibility for receiving financial aid is based upon financial need and meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements.


To apply for winterim financial aid, students must submit a winterim application to the Financial Aid office. Applications are available in November. The current academic year FAFSA process must be completed and on file.

Summer Term

To apply for summer term financial aid, students must complete the institutional summer term application and submit the current academic year FAFSA to the federal processor by June 30. Beginning in March, the summer term application is available under the “Online Forms” section of the Financial Aid website or in the Financial Aid office.

Undergraduates must enroll for a minimum of 6 credits and graduates must enroll for a minimum of 4.5 credits to be eligible for financial aid. Work programs, loans and, in certain cases, Pell Grants are usually the only aid available.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Students are required to comply with the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy in order to remain eligible for financial aid. Failure to meet the requirements will result in loss of eligibility or cancellation of all major types of financial aid. Students who do not meet the requirements can appeal their academic progress status with the Financial Aid office.

  • Minimum cumulative grade point average must be at least 1.5 for freshmen, 2.0 for all other undergraduates and transfer students and 3.0 for graduate students.
  • Minimum credits completed (pace – must complete at least 67% of all attempted credits)
  • Maximum time frame (number of credit attempts for completion of program)

Students who fail to complete their degree requirements within the prescribed length of time, fail to maintain the required cumulative grade point average, and/or do not pass the minimum number of credits will not be eligible for federal, state, or university funds.

The progress or lack of progress of students will be monitored at the end of each spring semester and summer term (if the student attends summer). All credits will count in the evaluation regardless of where or when they were earned, including credits earned during semesters or summers when no financial aid was received.

More information about SAP is available at


Probation is the status assigned by the Financial Aid Office to a student who fails to make satisfactory academic progress and who has appealed and has had eligibility for aid reinstated. The student may receive aid for one payment period i.e., fall, spring, or summer. At the end of the term, the student’s record will again be reviewed. The student must either meet all three requirements of the SAP policy, or have satisfied the Terms of Commitment that were agreed to at the time of their approved appeal..

Reinstatement of Financial Aid Eligibility

A student ineligible for financial aid due to SAP policy will need to do the following to regain eligibility: Appeal his/her ineligibility and have the appeal approved; achieve at least the minimum cumulative grade point average (1.5 for freshman, 2.0 for continuing undergraduates or 3.0 for graduate students); or maintain the appropriate pace needed for earning his/her degree.


If a student believes that his/her satisfactory progress as determined by the Financial Aid Office is incorrect, it is the student's responsibility to contact the Financial Aid Office and provide documentation of changes in information to the transcript (i.e., grade changes, completion of incomplete classes, etc.).

Students may appeal their ineligibility due to circumstances beyond their control, i.e., death of a family member, student illness/hospitalization.

A written letter of appeal may be submitted to the Financial Aid Office for review. Appeals should explain in detail the reason(s) for not meeting the standards of academic progress.  Appeals must be submitted prior to a specific deadline for each semester.  November 1 for the fall semester, April 1 for the spring semester, and July 1 for the summer semester. Members of the Appeals Committee for Satisfactory Academic Progress include a representative from the Academic Advising Office, a faculty member, a member of the CARE Team, university services associate, and the director of financial aid or her designee.   

Additional Outside Resources

The student's financial aid package is subject to change based upon assistance received from other sources. This includes but is not limited to, private scholarships, fee waivers, Division of Vocational Rehabilitation funds, AOP grants, resident/campus assistantships, veterans' benefits and tuition assistance programs.  Students should notify the Financial Aid Office directly of changes that may affect their ability to fund their education. These changes may include loss of employment or benefits, a significant decrease in income, separation or divorce, death or disability.

Financial Aid Counseling

Financial aid counseling is available from Financial Aid Administrators on an appointment basis. In addition, there is an administrator-on-duty 18-24 hours a week for quick questions. Social Security numbers or ID numbers are needed to make appointments.

What Will It Cost to Attend UW-Whitewater?

Students should begin their financial planning for college with an estimate of what the total cost will be for one academic year at UW-Whitewater. While fees (tuition) and room and board expenses will represent the majority of expenses, expect to pay for workbooks and supplies, personal items, laundry, entertainment and travel.  If you make realistic budgetary allowances for such items now, your final financial projections will be more accurate and useful.

The estimated costs for 2017-18 are listed below. Actual data may be obtained during the summer from Financial Services pending the Board of Regents’ approval.

Wisconsin Residents

  Undergraduate Graduate
Tuition and Books1 $ 7,680.00 $ 8,944.00
Room and Board $7,590.00 $8,390.00
Workbooks and Supplies $600.00 $1,600.00
Transportation $1,000.00 $1,000.00
Personal Expenses $2,100.00 $3,080.00
Total $18,970.00 $23,014.00

Note: Self-supporting students have higher cost estimates. Contact the Financial Aid Office for additional details. These college costs may not be exactly the same as those listed in other UW-Whitewater publications, as they are used solely to establish eligibility for financial aid. These costs are subject to change without notice.  The actual costs incurred will depend on whether the student lives on campus in a double room, single room, triple room or suite, off campus, or at home with parent(s).

UW-Whitewater participates in the Net Price Calculator/Financial Aid Award Estimator, which gives students access to college costs and financial aid estimations based on individual costs and income factors. See for more information.

While most required undergraduate textbooks are available through the textbook rental system, some must be purchased. Graduate students must purchase their textbooks.

Sample Undergraduate Student Budget

The following is a sample budget and need analysis for a dependent freshman paying in-state tuition:

Total Estimated UW-W Budget $18,970.00
Minus Expected Family Contribution (EFC) (as calculated through the application process) - $1,000.00
Total Need $17,970.00

 The following is a sample financial aid package for the same student enrolled full-time:

Federal Pell Grant $4,970.00
Wisconsin Higher Education Grant $2,314.00
Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant $800.00
Federal Work-Study $1,200.00
Federal Direct Loan-Subsidized $3,500.00
Federal Direct Loan-Unsubsidized $2,000.00
Federal Direct PLUS Loan $4,186.00
or Alternative Loan for Student
Total $18,970.00

Students have the option of accepting all or part of the assistance offered.

Financial aid is calculated according to the number of units the student intends to take. Financial aid packages must be adjusted for less than full-time enrollment.

Employment Opportunities

All those below with an * require a FAFSA to be on file.

Students must be enrolled at least half time or have been accepted for such enrollment for any on-campus employment. The most common types of positions available are Federal Work-Study positions and Regular Payroll positions. Students are limited to 25 hours per week during periods of enrollment.

Students on foreign student visas (F-1’s) are eligible for on-campus Regular Student Payroll positions only and are restricted to 20 hours per week during periods of enrollment.

During the summer or other vacation periods when the student does not have classes, he/she may work a maximum of 40 hours per week. In general, the hourly rate is slightly above the prevailing minimum wage.

All student employment opportunities are advertised on the Handshake site found on the UW-Whitewater Student Employment website.

Federal Work-Study Employment*

The Federal Work-Study program is a federally funded, need-based financial aid program available to citizens or permanent residents of the United States. To be eligible, students must:

  1. Receive a Federal Work-Study allocation as a part of the financial package.  Students should mark on their FAFSA that they want to be considered for work-study.
  2. Be enrolled at least half time or have been accepted for such enrollment.

Federal Work-Study employment is on campus (except for America Reads), and work schedules are set up around classes. Students are encouraged to participate in the many community-service related activities available. Typical on-campus jobs include clerical work; assisting in the library, laboratories, or computer labs; tutoring; and child care assistance. Proceeds from Federal Work-Study employment are paid with funds directly deposited to the student’s savings or checking account based on the number of hours worked. Work-Study funds are not automatically applied towards the student’s bill.

Regular Student Payroll

Each year hundreds of on-campus part-time jobs are made available by UW-Whitewater. Any student enrolled on at least a half-time basis can apply for jobs similar to Federal Work-Study positions in university offices, laboratories or other facilities. All student employment opportunities are advertised on the Handshake site found on the UW-Whitewater Student Employment website.

All on-campus students are paid with funds directly deposited to their savings or checking accounts.

Food Service

The private company with the contracts to provide food services to UW-Whitewater hires approximately 225 students each year to work in the dining halls and for its catering service.  All student employment opportunities are advertised on the Handshake site found on the UW-Whitewater Student Employment website.


Each year the Career and Leadership Development Office lists many part-time jobs in private homes, businesses, and industries in the Whitewater area. These openings are listed on the UW-Whitewater Student Employment website.  Students on foreign student visas (F-1's) are not eligible for off-campus employment without special permission.


A grant is a form of aid that does not have to be repaid.  All those below with an * require a FAFSA to be on file.

Federal Pell Grant*

Federal Pell Grants are awarded to undergraduate students who have not yet earned an undergraduate degree. To determine a student’s eligibility for a Federal Pell Grant, the Department of Education uses a standard formula to evaluate the information supplied on the FAFSA. The formula produces an Expected Family Contribution, which indicates whether or not the student is eligible for a Pell Grant. The amount of the Pell Grant is subject to change based on verification of FAFSA data and changes in enrollment. Depending upon their EFC, students may be eligible for a Pell Grant at less than half-time enrollment. The Pell Grant is limited to 12 semesters of full-time awards.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)*

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant is another federally funded grant program. FSEOGs will be awarded first to those undergraduate students with exceptional need, those with the lowest expected family contributions, and Federal Pell Grant recipients.  Eligibility is also based on the availability of funds. The maximum FSEOG awarded during an academic year is $1,000.

Advanced Opportunity Grant (AOP)*

Advanced Opportunity Program grants are intended for African American, Latino, American Indian, designated Southeast Asian and disadvantaged graduate students. Both Wisconsin residents and nonresidents are eligible, although preference is given to Wisconsin residents.  Full-time and part-time graduate students are eligible to apply with Multicultural Affairs and Student Success, 226 McCutchan Hall, 262-472-4985.

Indian Student Assistance Program*

The Indian Student Assistance Program grants are available to Native Americans who demonstrate financial need and are of at least one-fourth Native American lineage. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.

International Student Scholarship

Each year the Admissions Office awards scholarships based on academic record and financial need to new freshmen from foreign countries. Not all students who apply for admission receive scholarships. The awards may be renewable for up to four years. Recipients must be enrolled full-time. Awards are made in the form of a partial waiver of non-resident tuition and can vary in amount. Contact the Admissions Office, 2060 Roseman Building, 262-472-1440, or e-mail for more information.

Lawton Undergraduate Minority Retention Grant*

These grants provide funds to undergraduate minority students who are of at least sophomore status. Applicants must be African-American, Latino, Native American or Southeast Asian. Southeast Asian students must be of Vietnamese, Cambodian, Laotian or Hmong heritage. Students must file a FAFSA so financial need can be determined.

Qualifying minority students must be Wisconsin residents who are enrolled full time and making satisfactory academic progress. Students who demonstrate financial need must have a grade point average of 2.0 or better. Contact the Office for Multicultural Affairs and Student Success, 226 McCutchan Hall, (262) 472-4985, for applications and information.

Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Assistance (DVR)

Division of Vocational Rehabilitation assistance may be available to students having some type of disability. Vocational Rehabilitation is a division of the Department of Workforce Development. Students should contact their local DVR counselor in addition to filing the FAFSA.

Minnesota Reciprocity

All undergraduate and graduate students who are bona fide residents of Minnesota may have their nonresident tuition waived upon application to the student’s home state. Contact the Admissions office for more information.

*Tuition for online courses are the same for Residents and Non-Residents.

Non-Resident Grant*

These grants are available to out-of-state (excluding Minnesota) students enrolled full time who demonstrate need. Upperclassmen must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.00 or better. These awards cover part of non-resident tuition expenses.  Students must complete the FAFSA by the priority date to be considered for this grant, as limited funds are available. Minnesota residents, please see Minnesota Reciprocity.

Return to Wisconsin

The Return to Wisconsin residency status is available to children and grandchildren of alumni. Please contact the Admissions office for more information.

Other Nonresidents

The Admissions office awards academic nonresident fee remission to select incoming freshmen based on their admissions application (high school rank and ACT scores) and the availability of funding.  Students must be admitted by January 1.

Talent Incentive Program Grant (TIP)* 

The Talent Incentive Program Grant is administered by the Department of Public Instruction’s Wisconsin Educational Opportunity Program. The purpose of TIP is to provide supplemental grant awards to extremely needy students from disadvantaged backgrounds. TIP awards are designed to reduce the need for self-help aid during the period of greatest academic vulnerability. Contact your local WEOP office for application information.

U.S. Army Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) Scholarship

There are various scholarships available through Army ROTC – from a four-year scholarship you apply for while in high school to a two-, three- or four-year scholarship you can get while on campus. If you are enlisted in the National Guard or the Reserves and join ROTC, there are two 2-year Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty scholarships you may be eligible for. Contact the Department of Leadership, Military Science and Aerospace Studies at 262-472-1541 or 262- 472-5255/5251 or go to the fourth floor of McCutchan Hall to speak to someone about Army ROTC.

U.S. Air Force ROTC Scholarships

Air Force ROTC has several types of scholarship opportunities available for students. High school seniors must apply for the Air Force ROTC College Scholarship Program no later than December 1. If selected, high school seniors are awarded three-year and four-year Air Force ROTC scholarships. For those students already in college, please contact the Department of Aerospace Studies, UW - Madison at 608-262-3440 to find out if you are eligible for a scholarship.

Wisconsin Grants for Study Abroad*

There is a limited amount of funding for grants to increase the number of UW System students studying abroad. Students must complete a FAFSA and demonstrate financial need. Grants will be provided for only those experiences that grant credit, regardless of program length. A recipient must be an undergraduate Wisconsin resident with at least sophomore status enrolled in a program leading to a bachelor’s degree. Recipients of the grant must have been enrolled full time the previous semester. Contact the Center for Global Education, Hyland Hall 1227, 262-472-5759, for applications and information.

Wisconsin Hearing/Visually Handicapped Grant*

These grants provide assistance to Wisconsin residents who are deaf, hard of hearing, or visually impaired. To qualify, students need to demonstrate financial need. Awards are determined by the Higher Educational Aids Board. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.

Wisconsin Grant*

The Wisconsin Higher Education Grant is a state-funded grant available to eligible undergraduate Wisconsin residents who demonstrate financial need. Awards are determined by the Higher Educational Aids Board.  Students must be enrolled at least half time. Awards are limited to 10 semesters.

Loans (current rates are available on the Financial Aid website)

A loan is a form of financial assistance which must be repaid and should only be accepted with the full realization of that responsibility. All those below with an * require a FAFSA to be on file.

Federal Direct Loan Program

Federal Direct Loan (Subsidized)*

The Federal Direct Loan enables undergraduate students enrolled at least half-time to borrow directly from the federal government. To be eligible, students must demonstrate financial need. The school determines financial need based on the information provided on the FAFSA. The federal government pays the interest on these loans while students are in school and during the six-month grace period after the student graduates or leaves school. The federal government also pays the interest during periods of deferment (a postponement of repayment). Undergraduate freshmen are limited to loans of $3,500; sophomores (24-59.5 credits) are limited to $4,500; junior and senior undergraduates (students with 60 credits or more) are limited to $5,500. Graduate students are no longer eligible for subsidized direct loans. Interest rates are set on July 1 each year.  An origination fee is assessed at the time the loan is made. The borrower will receive a disclosure statement from the Direct Loan Servicing Center regarding the amount of his or her loan and the anticipated disbursement date.

Federal Direct Loan (Unsubsidized)*

To be eligible, the student must complete the FAFSA process. If a small financial need is determined, the student may be offered the subsidized loan in combination with the unsubsidized loan. If no financial need is determined, the student will be offered the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan. The student, not the federal government, is obligated to pay all interest even while enrolled, which differs from the subsidized loan.  The unsubsidized loan amount is determined by subtracting subsidized aid (if any) from the maximum allowed loan limits.  Undergraduate freshmen may borrow a maximum of $5,500 per year in combined subsidized and unsubsidized loans; sophomores may borrow a combined maximum of $6,500; juniors and seniors may borrow a combined maximum of $7,500. Undergraduates who are not dependents may be eligible for higher limits. Graduate students are eligible to borrow a maximum of $20,500 annually. Interest rates are set on July 1 each year. The current rate is 3.76 percent for undergraduate students and 5.31 percent for graduate students. As with the subsidized loan, an origination fee is assessed at the time the loan is made. The borrower will also receive a disclosure statement for this loan. Remember: Origination fees may change every October 1.  Contact Financial Aid for the current rates.

The aggregate loan limit for dependent undergraduates is $31,000. The aggregate loan limit for independent undergraduate students is $23,000 for subsidized loans and $57,500 total (subsidized and unsubsidized). Graduate students may borrow a total of $138,500, including loans for undergraduate study

Federal Direct PLUS Loan*

The Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students enables credit-worthy parents of undergraduate dependent students to borrow directly from the federal government. Graduate students are also eligible to borrow through the PLUS program. The PLUS loan may not exceed the student’s estimated cost of attendance minus any estimated financial assistance the student has been or will be awarded during the period of enrollment. This includes the no-need Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan. An origination fee is assessed at the time the loan is made. The interest rate as of July 1, 2016, is 6.31 percent. The PLUS Loan application can be found on the Financial Aid website under “Online Forms.” The student’s parent(s) must pass a credit check to be approved for the loan. If denied, the parent may either appeal or obtain an endorser, or the student may receive additional unsubsidized loan funds: $4,000 for freshmen and sophomores and $5,000 for juniors and seniors. Parents who appeal or obtain an endorser must complete loan counseling.

Alternative Loans

Alternative loans are private loans borrowed from a lending institution. These loans are not part of federal financial aid programs. Alternative loans should only be used when all other options have been exhausted because they are usually more expensive than federal government guaranteed loans. These loans are based on credit scores; therefore, most student borrowers will require a co-signer in order to receive a better interest rate. In most cases, repayment of the principal balance is deferred until after graduation; however, interest is capitalized on the loan while the student is in school. The maximum amount a student may borrow is the cost of attendance for the loan period minus any financial assistance received for the loan period. If students find they need an alternative loan, it is very important to research lenders. For more information, please visit our website:

Financial Assistance

Graduate Assistantships

UW-Whitewater has a limited number of graduate assistantships for selected full-time graduate students. To be eligible for consideration, individuals must be enrolled in a graduate degree program at UW-Whitewater in good standing status. Graduate assistants must register for at least nine graduate credits, but no more than 12 credits, each semester.

Students receiving full assistantship awards are expected to perform 20 hours of service per week. Work loads for partial awards are reduced proportionately. Duties will involve assignments such as laboratory assistant, research assistant, the preparation of materials for instruction, or other assignments of an academic nature.

The amount of a full assistantship award for the 2013-2014 academic year was $10,454. The award amount and availability of graduate assistantships for subsequent years is contingent upon funding being appropriated from the Wisconsin State Legislature, and is subject to change. All students who receive at least 2/3 of a full assistantship for an academic year or one semester will qualify for fringe benefits (such as health, dental, and life insurance). When funds are available, out-of-state students who receive at least 2/3 of a full assistantship for an academic year or for one semester will be eligible for a remission of the nonresident portion of tuition costs for the corresponding time period. In addition, the out-of-state portion of the fees may be waived for the summer session if the student received at least 2/3 of a full assistantship award for the preceding spring semester.

New applicants for degree programs must complete and return an application for admission and may apply for a graduate assistantship. Students who have already been admitted to a graduate degree program should submit only an application for a graduate assistantship. Completed application forms should reach the Graduate Studies Office by February 15 of the preceding academic year for first consideration. Recipients will be notified in writing and issued an employment contract as early as possible.

Non-Resident Fee Remission - Graduate

Applicants must have a "nonresident" status, enrolled in a graduate degree program in "good standing" and registered for at least eight (8) graduate units in the semester seeking a remission (at least five (5) during summer term). Applicants must not be under contract as a graduate assistant or, if working as a graduate assistant, under contract for less than 14 hours per week. Online MBA students are not eligible. Please visit for application materials.

Student Rights and Responsibilities

  • The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a law designed to protect students’ education records. Based on this law, all students have the right to access the information contained in their education records. In order to ensure the confidentiality of these records, the Financial Aid office must obtain written consent from students authorizing employees of the office to discuss information with parents, legal guardians and/or spouses. There is an Authorization for Release of Information form available at the Financial Aid office. It is also included in the award letter and on
  • Male students born in 1960 or later must register for the Selective Service prior to being able to receive federal Title IV financial aid. Forms are available from any U.S. Post Office or can be accessed online at
  • All mailing addresses must be changed on WINS. Home addresses must be updated by the Registrar’s Office. Students are responsible for keeping their addresses up to date.
  • Students are required to use financial aid of any type to meet educational expenses of tuition, fees, books, room and board, transportation and minimal personal expenses. According to federal law, students cannot use current federal financial aid to pay a prior year’s past-due balance in excess of $200.
  • Students are responsible for repaying their educational loans and should not accept such loans without full realization of that responsibility. Students borrowing through the Federal Stafford Direct Loan program for the first time must complete entrance loan counseling online prior to the release of funds.
  • Students may be ineligible for Title IV aid if convicted of an offense involving the possession or sale of illegal drugs. The period of ineligibility is contingent upon the offense committed and if the student is a first-time or repeat offender.
  • Work-study employment is a privilege, not a right. Any student can and will be terminated for justified reasons.

Installment Payment Plan

UW-Whitewater provides a payment plan for students who cannot pay the balance by the term due date. They must sign a Terms and Conditions/Payment Plan agreement. For more information, contact Student Accounts at 262-472-1373

Potential Tax Liability

Financial aid grants may be taxable income. Students receiving grants are advised to retain receipts for fee payments, books, supplies and equipment that are course-related.

Changes to Financial Situation

Notify the Financial Aid office directly of any changes that may affect the family’s ability to provide financial assistance. These changes include but are not limited to loss of employment or benefits, a significant decrease in income, separation or divorce, death or disability, unusual medical expenses and child care costs.

Financial Aid Recipients

Students on financial aid are subject to the same payment deadlines that apply to all other students. Students must apply early to ensure that funds are available in time to meet the terms of their payment plan agreement with UW-Whitewater.

Financial Aid Counseling

Financial aid counseling is available from financial aid administrators by appointment. In addition, an administrator is on duty 22 hours a week to answer quick questions. Appointments can be scheduled by calling 262-472-1130.

Email Communication

Please be aware that the Financial Aid office communicates with students whenever possible via the student’s UW-Whitewater email address. Students are responsible for monitoring their campus email.

Policy on Awarding Financial Aid

Financial aid is awarded based on tuition and other educational expenses. Enrollment is captured on the 10th class day of the term, and student financial aid will be revised accordingly. Financial aid received after the 10th class day of the term will be awarded based on actual enrollment for the current term and projected enrollment for the spring term.

Federal Policy for Return of Title IV Funds

The Financial Aid Office must adhere to federal law when determining the return of financial aid to the financial aid programs.


If a financial aid recipient withdraws during a term, the Financial Aid office must calculate the amount of Title IV aid the student did not earn. Unearned funds must be returned to Title IV programs.

Any funds returned to the government could place a charge on the student’s bill dependent upon if the student receives a refund of their charges. It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of policies for deadlines for dropping classes, tuition refunds and refunds for other charges. It is also the student’s responsibility to pay any charges due to UW-Whitewater.

The basic formula is as follows:

Percent of Enrollment period completed based on withdrawal date     x     Aid that disbursed or could have disbursed     =     Earned aid

Aid that disbursed or could have disbursed     -     Earned aid     =     Unearned aid

The school must return:

Amount of institutional charges     x     The percent of aid that was unearned

The student must repay:

The amount of unearned Title IV aid to be returned     -     The amount of unearned Title IV aid due from the school

If the repayment of funds affects grant dollars received, the student's repayment of these funds will be reduced by 50 percent of the total grant aid.

Students will repay loan funds based on the repayment terms of the promissory note. Repayment of grant funds can be arranged with the school, if paying in full or with the Department of Education if a payment schedule needs to be arranged.  Students who fail to repay grant funds will be ineligible for future financial aid.

Financial aid is awarded per fall-spring aid year. So this information only affects students that withdraw from the fall and want to come back in the spring of the same year.  It does not affect students that withdraw in the spring and want to come back in a later semester.  The student must submit written notification to the Financial Aid office so that aid may be reinstated and/or revised. If a student fails to notify the Financial Aid office, the aid will remain canceled.

Students attending courses that are less than a full term in length (module sessions) are also subject to withdrawal policies. If a student completes one module session but does not complete the full term, the student is considered a withdrawal based on the last day of attendance. Students who drop a module course and are enrolled in other courses may be required to confirm in writing that they will attend these courses in order to avoid being considered a withdrawal.

Students are advised to contact the Financial Aid office if considering withdrawing from UW-Whitewater.