Registrar's Office


The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater official registration for any session is accomplished only after students have (1) been admitted and granted permission to register, (2) obtained advising as determined by the major department, and (3) completed the process via the WINS Registration system, including accepting Terms and Conditions. Students may not attend a course/section without properly registering for it or adding it to their class schedules.

Each term registration priority is based on the number of cumulative credits that students have completed and earned including transfer and test credits (AP, IB, etc.).  Credit breakouts may fluctuate slightly due to the limitation of spots available in each breakout. 

The Provost may approve student populations to register earlier than their earned hours alone would allow through a priority registration process*.  Priority registration does not override any University of departmental policies such as the need to meet with an academic advisor, removal of any holds (e.g., Bursar), permission number requirements for specific courses, etc.  In addition, priority registration does not guarantee the provision of classes at specific times.

Registration Prioritization

Day 1                Graduates, Seniors, Post-Baccalaureates

Day 2                Seniors

Day 3                Juniors

Day 4                Juniors

Day 5                Juniors

Day 6                Sophomore

Day 7                Sophomore

Day 8                Sophomore

Day 9                Freshmen

Day 10              Freshmen

Day 11              Freshmen

Day 12              Freshmen, Non-Degree Seeking Students

All students are assigned a designated ‘Registration Start Time’ within the "Academics" section of WINS roughly 10 weeks into the semester.

*Qualification for early registration per classification for veterans or service members is determined by receipt of the DD214 by the Veterans Certifying Official.

Schedule of Classes

Published each term by the Registrar’s Office, the Schedule of Classes includes all policies, procedures, courses offered with their requisites, and other information pertinent to registration.

Course Requisites

Prerequisite (prereq): Requirements that need to be met before taking a particular course. For example, ENGLISH 101  is a prereq of ENGLISH 102 .

Corequisite (coreq): A course that must be completed prior to, or during the same term, as another course. For example, BIOLOGY 120has a coreq of MATH 141 .

Unrequisite (unreq): A course for which credit cannot be earned because the content overlaps with the specified course. For example, SOCIOLGY 352  has an unreq of ANTHROPL 352 .

Academic Load

The average minimum course load to graduate in eight Fall/Spring terms is 15 unit hours. A maximum of 18 units may be taken if students are in good standing. There is a 12-unit maximum for all students in Summer term and a 6-unit maximum for special students without credentials during the regular terms. Students will be limited to 15 units per Fall/Spring term if they have less than a 2.00 grade point average or are admitted on probation. Permission of the dean of the college in which students are enrolled must be received before they can carry more than the maximum units allowed according to their academic standing.

Academic Level

A student’s academic level is determined by the cumulative number of units satisfactorily completed, as follows:

Freshman 0-23.9 units
Sophomore 24-59.9 units
Junior 60-89.9 units
Senior 90 units or more

UW System Standard for Work Per Unit

The UW System standard for work per unit (credit) is that students are expected to invest at least 3 hours of combined in-class and out-of-class work per week for each academic unit (credit) of coursework. Thus, a 3-credit course will typically require a minimum of 9 hours of work per week (144 hours per semester).

Course Numbering System (1962-Present)

001-099 Non-degree Credit
100-199 Primarily Freshman Level
200-299 Primarily Sophomore Level
300-399 Primarily Junior Level
400-499 Primarily Senior Level
500-799 Graduate Only

Students who participate in priority registration may make schedule changes via the online WINS Registration System through the deadline dates. The last day to add a 16-week course is the sixth day of classes. The last day to add a short course (or 8-week course) is the second class period. Students must have written approval of the dean of the course to add a class after the deadline has passed. Additionally, UW-Whitewater reserves the right to close registration before the deadline if its enrollment capacity has been reached.

Students may drop courses through the sixth week of the Fall/Spring term. Short-term courses may be dropped through Friday of the week in which 33% of the course is completed. Drops must be done through the WINS Registration System. Note the fee reduction schedule for dropped courses in the Schedule of Classes, as there may be a charge for any course dropped after the first week of classes.

A “W” grade will appear on student academic records (transcripts) for all courses dropped after the tenth day of instruction. This “W” grade notation will also appear on the records of students who withdraw from the University after the tenth day. The fifth day of classes will be the deadline for short-term courses and for Summer term courses.

Students will be held responsible for the completion of all courses for which they are registered unless they officially withdraw from UW-Whitewater or officially drop the course(s) by the proper procedures. Students who never attend or stop attending a course are responsible for dropping that course.

Late Add/Drop

An undergraduate student with extenuating circumstances that merit an appeal for a late add or late drop may petition for such at the department of the course. The approval of the course instructor, the chair of the course, and the dean of the college of the course is required for a late add, and the approval of the course instructor, the chair of the course, and the dean of the college of the student’s major is required for a late drop (Important note: for a late drop, if the student is a veteran, international student, or a student athlete, related signatures as noted on the form are required). The Late Add and Late Drop forms are available at the department offices or the forms page on the Registrar's Office site at

Undergraduate Students

The privilege of repeating coursework allows students to retake courses in which they initially encountered difficulties. A course can be repeated only once. Students may not take the same course for credit and grade replacement more than once unless the course is identified in the Undergraduate Catalog as “Repeatable.” If a course is identified in the Catalog as repeatable, the limitations on the number of times or maximum number of credits may be applied to the major/minor, degree or graduation credits will be indicated.

UW-Whitewater does not guarantee the right to repeat any course. Courses may be deactivated, discontinued, or offered on a different schedule.

Repeating Courses for Grade and Credit Replacement

A course in which a grade of C- or below (C-, D+, D, D-, F or NC) was originally earned may be repeated once for grade and earned credit replacement. The grade and credits earned for the repeated course will replace those earned in the initial attempt when calculating grade point average and credits toward degree. For example, if a student repeats a course in which a grade of D was earned and receives a B in the repeat, only the B and the credits earned in the repeat will be included in the GPA and credits toward the degree; if the student receives an F, only the F will be included in the GPA and the student loses the credits for the course. Students may not repeat for credit or grade replacement any course in which they earned a grade of C or higher, or S (see REPEAT FOR NO CREDIT explanation below).

The following conditions apply to repeats for grade and earned credit replacement:

  1. Unless the repeat courses are offered S/NC only, all repeats must be taken on a conventional grade basis.
  2. Courses taken initially at UW-Whitewater may be repeated only at UW-Whitewater. They may not be taken at another institution to replace the UW-Whitewater grade and credit.
  3. Students may repeat a C- grade or below that was earned at a transfer institution if the course has a direct UW-Whitewater equivalent and the course was attempted only once prior to transfer to UW-Whitewater. Students who repeat a transfer course will receive UW-Whitewater course credits regardless of the number of credits the course carried at the transfer institution; for example, a student repeating a 4-credit transfer course with a 3-credit UW-Whitewater course will receive only the 3 UW-Whitewater credits. All other repeat regulations apply.
  4. A student may not repeat a course if the student has received credit for a higher level course in the same department for which the course to be repeated is a prerequisite or corequisite. For example, a student who has received credit for ENGLISH 102 may not repeat ENGLISH 101.
  5. In courses in which there has been a change in the number of credits awarded, a repeat for grade replacement will replace the credits and grade from the first attempt with the credits and grade for the repeat. For example, in a course that had changed from 5 credits to 4 credits, a 5-credit D would be replaced by a 4-credit B.
  6. If a student officially drops or withdraws from a repeat course, the original enrollment attempt’s grade and earned credits will be reinstated or remain in the student’s term and cumulative calculations.

All attempts of repeated courses, including the grades, remain on academic records and transcripts even though they may not be included in the GPA calculation or earned credits. Students should be aware that graduate schools and other institutions to which they might wish to transfer may not accept repeats and may include all grades in calculating GPA for admission.

If you have previously earned your degree from UW-Whitewater, your attempted and earned credits as well as your cumulative GPA will start over with the courses you take in pursuit of your second degree. Courses taken as part of your first degree will not be considered repeats. Your original record cannot be altered.

Students who wish to enroll in the same course in the same term, even if the sessions are different, should speak with their academic advisor to verify that appropriate repeat processes are being applied.

Student athletes, veterans and international students should check with the appropriate UW-W school officials before repeating courses as it may affect their eligibility or financial benefits.

Appeal for Third Attempt of a Course

Undergraduate students who wish to register for a third (or more) attempt of a course must complete a successful appeal.  If the student’s appeal is approved, the completed appeal form must be received in the Registrar’s Office no later than the published deadline for adding the class as listed in the term Schedule of Classes.  After receiving the completed and approved appeal form, the Registrar’s Office will proceed to enroll the student in the class unless the student has a hold that prevents registration or the course has a time conflict with another course in which the student is enrolled. In those cases, the student must clear the hold(s) and/or obtain the necessary time conflict authorization signatures prior to the published deadline to add the class.

Repeating for Grade Point Average (GPA) and earned credit replacement. Students who enroll in third (or more) attempts of a course are required to follow the GPA and earned credit regulations of the undergraduate Repeat Policy. All attempts of a course, including the grades, appear on the student’s official academic record and transcript. The following examples may help to explain how third attempt grade and credits are factored into the official academic record and transcript GPA and earned credit totals:

Example 1: A student enrolls in a third attempt of a course in which a grade of D was earned in the first attempt. The student receives a grade of C- in the second attempt and a B in the third attempt. Only the C- and the credits earned in the second attempt will be included in the GPA and earned credits. After a student earns a passing grade (i.e., a grade of D- or higher) in a repeat attempt, all subsequent attempts will not count for grade replacement or earned credit. Such non-credit attempts will be identified on the academic transcript as “No Credit”.

Example 2: A student enrolls in a third attempt of a course in which a grade of D was earned in the first attempt. The student receives a grade of F in the second attempt and a C in the third attempt. The second attempt’s F grade and the third attempt’s C grade will both be calculated into the GPA and the student will receive earned credit only for the third attempt (the first attempt’s grade and credits are replaced). Unsuccessful repeat attempts (i.e., those with grades of F) are included in the GPA as long as they are prior to the student’s first successful (i.e., grade of D- or higher) repeat of the course.

Example 3: A student enrolls in a third attempt of a course in which a grade of D was earned in the first attempt. The student receives a grade of F in the second attempt and an F in the third attempt. The second attempt’s F grade and the third attempt’s F grade will both be calculated into the GPA and the student loses the credit s/he had originally earned for the course.

Contact the Registrar’s Office (262-472-1570 or in Roseman Hall 2032 or your academic advisor for information about the appeal process.

Repeat for No Credit

Under certain circumstances, students may need to repeat courses in which a C grade or above was earned. For example, a student may need to repeat a course if a grade of B is required for the student to proceed to a higher level course or to remain in a major. In such cases, repeat grades will be considered only as qualifying students to continue, and the repeats will not be counted for grade replacement or earned credit. All enrollment attempts will be recorded on academic records and transcripts, with the non-credit attempts identified as No Credit.

Graduate Students

Graduate students are allowed to repeat at most two courses in their degree programs. Courses may be repeated only once. When a course is repeated, the original course and grade remain on the transcript; however, the last grade and units earned replace the original and are the only ones used in computing the overall grade point average and the grade point average in the major or emphasis. Students who have been dropped from a degree program may not use the course repeat process to gain readmission into that degree program.

A course taken for undergraduate credit may not later be changed to graduate credit. Courses taken for undergraduate credit may not be taken for graduate credit, although exceptions may be granted by the degree program coordinator when the field of knowledge has changed to the degree that the course content has changed substantially from the first time the student took the course to the present. Graduate courses may not be retaken unless indicated otherwise in the Graduate Catalog.

Auditing Courses

Students who wish to audit courses must obtain the audit registration form from the Registrar’s Office, acquire the instructor’s written approval (and, in some cases, the department’s), and return the completed form to the Registrar’s Office by the published deadline to add classes. Students registering for audit courses may do so on a space-available basis and cannot change the courses to graded basis during the term of enrollment. Off-campus courses, College of Business and Economics courses, and Distance Education courses cannot be audited. Auditing of Department of Art and Design courses may be limited.

For purposes of audit, there are two categories of students per UW-System policy:

  1. students who are taking courses on an audit-only basis, with no courses for credit, and
  2. students who are taking a combination of courses for credit and courses for audit.

Audit-Only Enrollees

Students who are auditing courses only may do so under the following stipulations:

  1. Wisconsin residents (Wis Stats 36-27 (2)) will pay 30% of the normal per unit resident academic fee, and non-residents will pay 50% of the normal non-resident fee per the fee chart. No audit fees will be assessed disabled Wisconsin residents who are receiving federal old age survivors and disability insurance benefits (OASDI) under 42 USC 401 to 433, or Wisconsin residents age 60 or over.
  2. Students will register on a space-available basis with departmental permission in the week immediately prior to the start of classes. Remedial English (ENGLISH 90) and mathematics (MATH 41 and MATH 49) may not be taken as audit-only.
    Note: Auditing of Department of Art and Design courses may be restricted. See department for restrictions.
  3. Any special course fees other than the normal tuition charges will be assessed and paid by the student.
  4. Students registering under this option cannot change their courses to a credit grade basis during the term of enrollment.
  5. An audit (X) symbol will be recorded on the academic record provided the instructor reports satisfactory attendance.
  6. A fee of approximately $2.50 per unit will be assessed for required texts.
  7. Access to University services will be limited to the library and to non-segregated fee funded activities of the University Center. A special identification card will be issued for auditors which will permit this limited access.
  8. Regent, University, and Student Government regulations applying to other students will apply equally to audit-only enrollees.
  9. Students auditing courses must complete the Terms and Conditions form on their WINS page for Student Financial Services before being registered for their courses.

Audit and Unit Combination Enrollees

Students who are taking a combination of courses for regular credit and for audit will pay the regular fees for all units based upon the fee chart. The following stipulations will also apply:

  1. The decision to audit must be finalized and recorded by the tenth day of classes for 16 or 17-week courses and by the end of the second class day for shorter courses.
  2. No units will be granted for the audit course, but an audit (X) symbol will appear on the academic record, provided the instructor reports satisfactory attendance.
  3. The audit course may be repeated for units in another term.
  4. Audits do not count as units for either veteran benefit certification or financial aid consideration.
  5. Students registering under this option cannot change their courses to a credit grade basis during the term of enrollment.

Audit (X)

The grading symbol for audit is X. This grade is not calculated in the grade point average and no credit is earned in courses registered under this option.

Excess Credit Policy - UGRD Only

The University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents Excess Credits Policy requires that resident undergraduate students who earn more than 165 credits toward their first undergraduate degree pay a surcharge for all credits beyond 165. The surcharge will approximately double the tuition that resident undergraduates pay and will be applied to students in the term following the one in which they reached the earned unit limit.

The Excess Credits Policy covers all earned credits from UW-Whitewater as well as earned credits from other UW System schools or Wisconsin Technical College System (WTCS) schools that are accepted toward the first baccalaureate degree. Units transferred from other colleges outside the UW System or the WTCS do not count toward the 165 credit limit. In addition, advanced placement, retroactive credits, credits by examination, and remedial credits do not count toward this limit. If a student has already been awarded a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, they are exempt from the tuition surcharge. A student may appeal for an exception to this policy only after the student has earned a minimum of 145 credits, not including credits in progress.  The student should submit the appeal packet, including the Excess Credit Appeal Form and a personal statement, to the Registrar's Office no later than 30 days before the start of the term in which the Excess Credits surcharge will be billed. Students who have questions about the policy should contact their college advisor.

Seniors Taking Graduate Courses

UW-Whitewater undergraduate students with senior status may be allowed to complete up to 9 graduate units at UW-Whitewater, provided they have completed at least 90 units with at least a 2.75 overall grade point average (or 2.90 over the last half of their course work), have the written recommendation of the department chairperson of their undergraduate major, and have a graduate application on file in the Graduate Studies Office. Students may download this form at

Eligibility for this privilege must be established with the Graduate Studies Office and is not available to seniors at other institutions or to students who already possess a bachelor’s degree. Seniors may not use graduate-level units to satisfy requirements for the bachelor’s degree, and undergraduate fees will be charged for their graduate-level work.

Veterans Administration Educational Assistance

The Registrar's Office is the certifying office for Federal and State veterans' benefits at UW-Whitewater (262-472-1570). The DVA has a toll free number (1-888-442-4551) available for individual inquiries. In addition, County Veterans Offices are available for assistance at each county seat.

Students should direct questions concerning Federal and State veterans' educational benefits to the Veterans' Benefits Office in the Registrar's Office or visit the office web page at Students must meet with the Veterans' Benefits Coordinator to set up their benefits program and should be sure to bring along their discharge certificate (DD214) and any other pertinent paperwork.

Training Time Units Per Term Undergrad Grad
Full Time 12 9+
3/4 Time 9-11 5-8
1/2 Time 6-8 4
1/4 Time 1-3 3

3/4 = Three-quarters (75%) of full time benefits payable on a monthly basis.

1/2 = One-half (50%) of full time benefits payable on a monthly basis; tuition and fees only for certain chapters.

<1/2 = Less than one-half time; tuition & fees only

Students must be enrolled more than half-time in order to receive the Post-9/11 MHA.  Students enrolled in on-line only courses will receive the national average for the MHA.

Students receiving the State waiver of tuition and enrolled half-time or less may not receive their Federal GI Bill. Contact the Veterans' Benefits Office for further information. (262-472-1570, Roseman Hall 2032)

State Benefits

State benefits include the Wisconsin GI Bill, the Veterans Education (VetEd) Reimbursement Grant, and the National Guard Reimbursement Grant.

Students using the Wisconsin G.I. Bill must maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA or higher in order to remain eligible for these benefits.  (Note: The transfer cumulative GPA will only be used for the first term at UW-Whitewater when applicable.  Thereafter, the UW-Whitewater cumulative GPA will only be used).

Information, applications, and instructions for the Wisconsin GI Bill and VetEd Grant are available in the Registrar's Office or on the WDVA website.

Information on the National Guard Tuition Grant is available in the Registrar's Office.

Federal Benefits

For detailed information concerning federal benefits, students should visit the VA web page at In addition to the monthly GI Bill, benefits may also include tutorial assistance if there exists a documented deficiency in any subject required for completion of a degree program. Students should contact the Veterans' Office for an application.

Refer to the Undergraduate or Graduate Catalog for the academic performance criteria that are expected from all University of Wisconsin-Whitewater students, including those individuals receiving VA benefits. In addition to those rules and regulations, veterans who are receiving VA benefits should be aware of these stipulations:

  • Short (8-wk) courses could affect your benefits.
  • Taking a course on a satisfactory/no credit basis may result in an overpayment of benefits for that term if the veteran receives no credit for the course.
  • Courses taken off campus or at another school may not count toward the enrollment certification. If taking courses at two schools concurrently, veterans must check with the Veteran's Coordinator if they wish to use benefits at both schools.
  • Audit units do not count as units for benefit certification purposes.
  • A repeat enrollment of a "D" grade may not count for benefit level determination, nor will repeats for no credit.
  • The University is required to notify the VA of any change of enrollment and/or withdrawal in order to determine the effect on future and past benefit eligibility. Unless veterans claim "mitigating circumstances", they may be liable for repayment of the benefits. Veterans should contact the Veterans' Benefits Coordinator to determine the effects of a change before that action is taken, and if "mitigating circumstances" can be claimed, file a statement of those circumstances. Veterans may be required to return benefits paid for pursuit of the course or courses, from the start of the term, not from the date the course was dropped or the withdrawal was processed.
  • If called to active duty, contact the Veterans' Benefits Office in Roseman 2032 for the correct procedure and assistance.

Any questions concerning the above information should be directed to the Veterans' Benefits Office in the Registrar's Office. (262-472-1570, Roseman Hall 2032)

Withdrawal from the University

Withdrawals are processed through the Student Center in WINS.  Under My Academics, select Term Withdrawal.  You will only be able to withdrawal from terms in which you have enrollment. For detailed directions go to:

Athletes, International Students and GI Bill Benefit recipients should consult with campus contacts before submitting a withdrawal.  Any questions should be directed to the Registrar's Office at 262-472-1570 or

If you have missed the deadline for withdraw you may appeal, by submitting a Last Day to Withdraw Appeal (found here: and appropriate documentation to the Registrar's Office.

The withdrawal process may take up to 48 hours for processing; however, the day the Registrar's Office receives your withdrawal form is the official date of the withdrawal.

  1. If the withdrawal is initiated within the first ten class days of the Fall/Spring term, there will be no academic penalty, but the date of withdrawal will be noted on the student's academic transcript.
  2. If the withdrawal is after the tenth day of classes in a Fall/Spring term or fifth day in the full Summer session, "W" grades will be recorded for each of the courses in which the student is enrolled at the time of withdrawal and the date of withdrawal will be noted on a student's academic transcript.
  3. If withdrawal is after the tenth day of classes, but the student was enrolled for 6 or more units on the tenth day, a whole or a partial term of eligibility will have been lost for financial aid.
  4. The last day to withdraw from UW-Whitewater is 15 days prior to the end of the Fall/Spring term (exam days included; Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays excluded), as published in the Schedule of Classes.
  5. Withdrawals initiated after the published deadline of the last day to withdraw will result in the student receiving grades of "F" in those courses which are not being passed at the time of withdrawal, and the student may be suspended for not meeting the minimum grade point requirement.
  6. Withdrawal may affect financial aid eligibility.

Failure to officially withdraw when leaving UW-Whitewater may result in students receiving failing grades in those courses for which they were enrolled. This may cause a problem with an attempt to return to the University or to transfer to another institution. If students must withdraw for medical or family emergency reasons, they may appeal to the Office of Student Life. Information concerning the medical withdrawal process can be found at