Undergraduate Policies

Adding a Major or Minor to a Degree

Students may fulfill the requirements for an additional major or minor after receiving their degree from the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater if the following conditions are satisfied:

  1. The major/minor course and GPA requirements in effect at the time of declaration of intent must be completed.
  2. Course credits used to satisfy the requirements of previous major(s) or minor(s) may not be used, with the exception that credits used in a minor may be used when expanding the minor into a major.
  3. The major/minor transfer course limitation may not be exceeded.
  4. The course selection must be approved by the department chairperson. A major or minor will not be awarded to a student who has not earned a degree at UW-Whitewater.
  5. After successful completion of major or minor, the major or minor department will notify the Registrar’s Office and a transcript note will be added to the student’s academic record.

Course Repeat Policy

The privilege of repeating coursework allows students to retake courses in which they initially encountered difficulties. A course can be repeated only once. Students may not take the same course for credit and grade replacement more than once unless the course is identified in the Undergraduate Catalog as “Repeatable.” If a course is identified in the Catalog as repeatable, the limitations on the number of times or maximum number of credits may be applied to the major/minor, degree or graduation credits will be indicated.

UW-Whitewater does not guarantee the right to repeat any course. Courses may be deactivated, discontinued, or offered on a different schedule.

Repeating Courses for Grade and Credit Replacement

A course in which a grade of C- or below (C-, D+, D, D-, F or NC) was originally earned may be repeated once for grade and earned credit replacement. The grade and credits earned for the repeated course will replace those earned in the initial attempt when calculating grade point average and credits toward degree. For example, if a student repeats a course in which a grade of D was earned and receives a B in the repeat, only the B and the credits earned in the repeat will be included in the GPA and credits toward the degree; if the student receives an F, only the F will be included in the GPA and the student loses the credits for the course. Students may not repeat for credit or grade replacement any course in which they earned a grade of C or higher, or S (see REPEAT FOR NO CREDIT explanation below).

The following conditions apply to repeats for grade and earned credit replacement:

  1. Unless the repeat courses are offered S/NC only, all repeats must be taken on a conventional grade basis.
  2. Courses taken initially at UW-Whitewater may be repeated only at UW-Whitewater. They may not be taken at another institution to replace the UW-Whitewater grade and credit.
  3. Students may repeat a C- grade or below that was earned at a transfer institution if the course has a direct UW-Whitewater equivalent and the course was attempted only once prior to transfer to UW-Whitewater. Students who repeat a transfer course will receive UW-Whitewater course credits regardless of the number of credits the course carried at the transfer institution; for example, a student repeating a 4-credit transfer course with a 3-credit UW-Whitewater course will receive only the 3 UW-Whitewater credits. All other repeat regulations apply.
  4. A student may not repeat a course if the student has received credit for a higher level course in the same department for which the course to be repeated is a prerequisite or corequisite. For example, a student who has received credit for ENGLISH 102 may not repeat ENGLISH 101.
  5. In courses in which there has been a change in the number of credits awarded, a repeat for grade replacement will replace the credits and grade from the first attempt with the credits and grade for the repeat. For example, in a course that had changed from 5 credits to 4 credits, a 5-credit D would be replaced by a 4-credit B.
  6. If a student officially drops or withdraws from a repeat course, the original enrollment attempt’s grade and earned credits will be reinstated or remain in the student’s term and cumulative calculations.

All attempts of repeated courses, including the grades, remain on academic records and transcripts even though they may not be included in the GPA calculation or earned credits. Students should be aware that graduate schools and other institutions to which they might wish to transfer may not accept repeats and may include all grades in calculating GPA for admission.

If you have previously earned your degree from UW-Whitewater, your attempted and earned credits as well as your cumulative GPA will start over with the courses you take in pursuit of your second degree. Courses taken as part of your first degree will not be considered repeats. Your original record cannot be altered.

Students who wish to enroll in the same course in the same term, even if the sessions are different, should speak with their academic advisor to verify that appropriate repeat processes are being applied.

Student athletes, veterans and international students should check with the appropriate UW-W school officials before repeating courses as it may affect their eligibility or financial benefits.

Appeal for Third Attempt of a Course

Undergraduate students who wish to register for a third (or more) attempt of a course must complete a successful appeal.  If the student’s appeal is approved, the completed appeal form must be received in the Registrar’s Office no later than the published deadline for adding the class as listed in the term Schedule of Classes.  After receiving the completed and approved appeal form, the Registrar’s Office will proceed to enroll the student in the class unless the student has a hold that prevents registration or the course has a time conflict with another course in which the student is enrolled. In those cases, the student must clear the hold(s) and/or obtain the necessary time conflict authorization signatures prior to the published deadline to add the class.

Repeating for Grade Point Average (GPA) and earned credit replacement. Students who enroll in third (or more) attempts of a course are required to follow the GPA and earned credit regulations of the undergraduate Repeat Policy. All attempts of a course, including the grades, appear on the student’s official academic record and transcript. The following examples may help to explain how third attempt grade and credits are factored into the official academic record and transcript GPA and earned credit totals:

Example 1: A student enrolls in a third attempt of a course in which a grade of D was earned in the first attempt. The student receives a grade of C- in the second attempt and a B in the third attempt. Only the C- and the credits earned in the second attempt will be included in the GPA and earned credits. After a student earns a passing grade (i.e., a grade of D- or higher) in a repeat attempt, all subsequent attempts will not count for grade replacement or earned credit. Such non-credit attempts will be identified on the academic transcript as “No Credit”.

Example 2: A student enrolls in a third attempt of a course in which a grade of D was earned in the first attempt. The student receives a grade of F in the second attempt and a C in the third attempt. The second attempt’s F grade and the third attempt’s C grade will both be calculated into the GPA and the student will receive earned credit only for the third attempt (the first attempt’s grade and credits are replaced). Unsuccessful repeat attempts (i.e., those with grades of F) are included in the GPA as long as they are prior to the student’s first successful (i.e., grade of D- or higher) repeat of the course.

Example 3: A student enrolls in a third attempt of a course in which a grade of D was earned in the first attempt. The student receives a grade of F in the second attempt and an F in the third attempt. The second attempt’s F grade and the third attempt’s F grade will both be calculated into the GPA and the student loses the credit s/he had originally earned for the course.

Contact the Registrar’s Office (262-472-1570 or registrar@uww.edu) in Roseman  Hall 2032 or your academic advisor for information about the appeal process.

Repeat for No Credit

Under certain circumstances, students may need to repeat courses in which a C grade or above was earned. For example, a student may need to repeat a course if a grade of B is required for the student to proceed to a higher level course or to remain in a major. In such cases, repeat grades will be considered only as qualifying students to continue, and the repeats will not be counted for grade replacement or earned credit. All enrollment attempts will be recorded on academic records and transcripts, with the non-credit attempts identified as No Credit.

Dual Degrees

Effective Fall 2007, students at UW Whitewater may pursue two undergraduate degrees concurrently - provided that the degree programs reside in two different colleges (e.g., BA - Letters and Sciences and a BBA - Business and Economics). Students must complete all requirements for both programs, including degree, major and unique requirements; the major from either degree may be used in place of any minor required in the other degree (e.g., the business major from the BBA degree may replace the minor requirement in the BA - Letters and Sciences degree). If all the requirements are completed concurrently, both degrees will be conferred for the same term. (Note: students pursing dual degrees are not exempt from the UW System surcharge for credits in excess of 165.) Students who wish to pursue programs leading to two degrees to be conferred in the same term should declare their intent with the Graduation Examiner in the Registrar's Office no later than the term in which they will have earned 90 credits.

  • The writing requirement fulfilled for one college is also fulfilled for the other - two not required.
  • Degree requirements may share, meaning one course can fulfill degree requirements from two colleges.

If you are going to be completing a dual degree, please fill out and submit the form for the college of your secondary major.

Enrollment Maximums


An undergraduate student's academic standing determines the maximum number of units in which he/she may enroll in a fall or spring term. Students admitted on academic probation or students with less than a 2.00 cumulative grade point average may enroll for a maximum of 15 units. New freshman with both a high school percentile rank and an ACT or SAT score below the 50 percentile are limited to 15 units. Students with a 2.00 cumulative grade point average or above may register for a maximum of 18 units. Exceptions to the number of units in any of the above circumstances require permission of the dean of the student's major.


The unit restriction standard is the maximum of one unit per week for each of the three and six week sessions, with the exception that a student may enroll simultaneously in one three and in one six week course. During the summer term, students are limited to a total of 12 units. Requests for overloads made by undergraduates require approval of the dean of the student's major.

Excess Credit Policy (165 Credit Appeal)

The University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents Excess Credits Policy requires that resident undergraduate students who earn more than 165 credits toward their first undergraduate degree pay a surcharge for all credits beyond 165. The surcharge will approximately double the tuition that resident undergraduates pay and will be applied to students in the term following the one in which they reached the earned unit limit.

The Excess Credits Policy covers all earned credits from UW-Whitewater as well as earned credits from other UW System schools or Wisconsin Technical College System (WTCS) schools that are accepted toward the first baccalaureate degree. Units transferred from other colleges outside the UW System or the WTCS do not count toward the 165 credit limit. In addition, advanced placement, retroactive credits, credits by examination, and remedial credits do not count toward this limit. If a student has already been awarded a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, they are exempt from the tuition surcharge. A student may appeal for an exception to this policy only after the student has earned a minimum of 145 credits, not including credits in progress.  The student should submit the appeal packet, including the Excess Credit Appeal Form and a personal statement, to the Registrar's Office no later than 30 days before the start of the term in which the Excess Credits surcharge will be billed.  

See the Excess Credit Appeal Form (165 Credit Appeal) for additional information. Students who have questions about the policy should contact their college advisor.

Undergraduate Grading System

Prior to the 2007 fall term, the undergraduate grading system used the following regular/conventional letter grades and honor points:

A 4.000
B 3.000
C 2.000
D 1.000
F 0.000

A new undergraduate plus/minus grading scale began with the 2007 fall term. Starting in 2007 fall, undergraduate courses through the 200-level (i.e., remedial, 100-level and 200-level) could use the plus/minus scheme. Beginning with the 2008 fall term, all undergraduate courses, including 300 and 400-level courses, can use the plus/minus scheme. Instructors are expected to specify their grading schemes in course syllabi noting whether they will use the new plus/minus grading or the traditional A, B, C, D, F scale. The plus/minus grading scale uses the following regular/conventional letter grades and honor points:

A 4.000
A- 3.670
B+ 3.330
B 3.000
B- 2.670
C+ 2.330
C 2.000
C- 1.670
D+ 1.330
D 1.000
D- 0.670
F 0.000

Grade Point Average (GPA):

The student term and cumulative grade point averages are based on the computation of regular/conventional letter grade units attempted and regular/conventional letter grade honor points earned. The GPAs are computed by dividing the honor point total by the total number of units attempted. For example, if a student attempts 16 units of work and received a B in each course (3.000 honor points for each unit), he/she would receive 48 honor points and would have a grade point average of 3.000. Grade point averages are not rounded.

Grades not computed into the term or cumulative GPA (no Honor Points):

S (Satisfactory) C grade or above in a satisfactory/no credit grading situation
NC (No Credit) Unsuccessful attempt of a course on a satisfactory/no credit grade basis
X Audit
W Drop/Withdraw
NN No Grade Reported
I (Incomplete) If students have been doing passing work until near the end of a term and then, because of illness or other unavoidable circumstances, are prevented from completing the work, their instructor may give them an “incomplete” and extend to them the privilege of completing the work at a later date. The instructor must complete a Contract for Incomplete or Progress Grade form and give specific directions for the completion of the course; the form must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office. An incomplete course must be completed within the agreed time but no later than the beginning of the exam period for the next term (excluding summer and winterim), or the grade automatically becomes an F unless a default grade was indicated on the Contract for Incomplete or Progress Grade form, in which case the default grade will be assigned. If an Incomplete grade is awarded in the term of graduation, the student must complete the work no later than 30 calendar days after the end of the term. In no case will students be given an incomplete when, through their own fault, they failed to complete the requirements of the course on time or failed to report for the final examination as scheduled. If the course work is not completed in the allotted time and an official grade change submitted by the instructor, the incomplete will automatically be changed to an F grade prior to the grading cycle following the deadline.

Graduation Honors

Graduating undergraduate seniors who have demonstrated scholastic achievement as defined below by the cumulative UW-Whitewater GPA only (excluding transfer grades) may receive one of the following three categories of graduation honors:

Summa Cum Laude 3.850 or above
Magna Cum Laude 3.600 to 3.849
Cum Laude 3.400 to 3.599

For honors to be acknowledged in the commencement program, students must attain the minimum required UW-Whitewater cumulative grade point average before entering their final term and have earned 48 units (counting the final term of enrollment) at UW-Whitewater. Honors maintained and/or earned through the final grading period will be noted on the academic record and on the diploma. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that the 48-unit minimum and the GPA requirements are satisfied.

Students may earn graduation honors in a second degree if one of the following two requirements is satisfied:

  • Completing a minimum of 48 units at UW-Whitewater with a UW-Whitewater cumulative grade point average that meets the requirements as defined for graduation honors above; or
  • Earning a second degree by completing less than 48 units at UW-Whitewater, but having earned the first degree at UW-Whitewater. Students may qualify for graduation honors if both the grade point average of the second degree itself and the grade point average of the first and second UW-Whitewater degrees combined meet the graduation honors requirement.

Satisfactory/No Credit Grade Basis

Special permission is not needed to enroll for a course on a satisfactory/no credit basis. The S/NC option may be selected by using WINS. See Course Add and Drop, Grade Basis Change, and Refund Deadlines in the Schedule of Classes for each semester for last day to add or change to S/NC. The S/NC stipulations are as follows:

  • The S/NC option will be limited to a maximum of fifteen (15) units in an undergraduate degree program. Developmental courses (e.g., MATH 40 or ENGLISH 90) that do not count toward the minimum credits necessary for graduation and credit courses offered only on an S/NC basis are not included in the fifteen unit limitation.
  • Courses that are used to fulfill a student's major/minor requirements, lower/upper BBA degree requirements, any College of Business and Economics course attempted by a BBA student, and General Education core courses may not be taken on an S/NC basis unless the course is offered only on an S/NC basis by the department. Proficiency, General Education options, unique major/minor, and elective courses may be taken on an S/NC basis.
  • The S/NC option is available to any student without regard to grade point average or class standing. The decision to take a course for S/NC must be recorded on WINS by the deadline published in the Schedule of Classes. After the deadline to change the grading basis, the S/NC basis will not be changed to a conventional grade basis or vice versa.
  • Satisfactory (S) is the equivalent of a grade of C or better (C- is not acceptable). The S will be recorded on the academic record but it will not be computed in the grade point average. Course work that does not merit a C or better will be graded NC. The NC grade will appear on the academic record but the course credits will not be counted in earned credits or the grade in the grade point average.
  • The S/NC option cannot be used to repeat a course taken for a conventional (e.g., ABCDF) grade. Veterans should refer to the VA Educational Assistance section of either the Schedule of Classes or the University Catalog, or check with the Veterans Certifying Official in the Registrar's Office.

Second Degree

Students who have received their first degree at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater may earn a second degree provided that it is not the same as the first degree (e.g., a student whose first degree is a Letters & Sciences BA could not receive a second Letters & Sciences BA degree but would be eligible for a Letters & Sciences BS or Arts & Communication BA). The first degree will be considered to have satisfied all Communication and Calculation Skills, University (General Education), U.S, Racial/Ethnic Diversity, and minor (if any) requirements. Students must complete all other degree and major requirements; credits used to satisfy major requirements in the first degree may not be used to satisfy major requirements in the second degree (credits used in a minor or minors may be applied to the new major). Students must complete a minimum of 30 credits at UW-Whitewater after the date of conferral of the first degree, and a minimum of 25% of the major course credits must be completed at UW-Whitewater.

Students who have received their first degree at another institution may earn a second degree at UW-Whitewater following these same regulations, except that the second degree may be the same as their first degree (e.g., a student who has received a Letters & Sciences BS degree at another institution may earn a second Letters & Sciences BS degree at UW-Whitewater).

Seniors Taking Graduate Courses

UW-Whitewater undergraduate students with senior status may be allowed to complete up to twelve graduate units at UW-Whitewater provided they have completed at least 90 semester units with at least a 2.75 overall grade point average (or 2.90 over the last half of their course work), and have a graduate application on file in the Graduate Studies Office. The application can be found at: https://apply.wisconsin.edu/.

Eligibility for this privilege must be established by the student with the graduate program coordinator and Graduate Studies Office and is not available to seniors at other institutions or students who already possess a bachelor's degree. Seniors may not use graduate-level units to satisfy requirements for the bachelor's degree, and undergraduate fees will be charged for their graduate-level work. Graduate programs may choose to limit the maximum graduate units at a lower limit than this university policy.

Term Honors

*Awarded in Fall and Spring terms only*

Undergraduate students having earned a 3.400 or above term grade point average with no grade below C (e.g., C-, D+, D, D-, F, I, NN, or NC), will be granted Term Honors for that term. To be considered for Term Honors, students must have successfully completed a minimum of 12 unit hours of work for the term, at least 9 of which must have been taken on a regular/conventional letter grade basis.