Academic Advising

For the most up-to-date advising information, students should refer to the Academic Advising website at

Advising Philosophy

Advising is most effective when it is viewed as an ongoing process in which students and advisors work as partners. Students must conscientiously work with their advisors in order to develop comprehensive academic plans that lead to successful career planning. Ultimately, students have the responsibility for their own educational plans and for monitoring all requirements for graduation.

Advising Responsibilities


Students are responsible for developing their educational plans by

  • Taking initiative to seek advising.
  • Monitoring their course of study.
  • Understanding and fulfilling all degree requirements.
  • Using appropriate student services.


Advisors are responsible for providing guidance to students by

  • Providing accurate information on requirements and policies.
  • Helping students evaluate their academic success and choice of major and minor.
  • Supporting and encouraging students as they work to meet their goals.
  • Making appropriate referrals to student services.


UW-Whitewater is responsible for guiding students to achieve their academic goals by

  • Developing a structure within which effective advising can occur.
  • Providing appropriate advising support for all students.
  • Providing access to academic, personal and career advising.
  • Communicating requirements and expectations for graduation.

Advising Information

The Academic Advisement Report (AAR) is the official advising instrument. The AAR includes a match of a student’s academic course history against a prescribed set of degree program requirements. These requirements are based upon the requirement term on a student’s record, which is based on the date of declaration, and the requirement term of the requirements on the curriculum file. Students can access their AAR on the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater WINS Student Administration System.

Although the AAR will match courses to requirements, it may not monitor all policies related to a student’s academic program. Students are responsible for understanding the policies that affect their degree by consulting the University Catalog and by working with the academic advising services as listed below.

All students who are new to the campus (new freshmen and new transfers) must participate in an Orientation, Advising and Registration program. At this program, students will be advised for their first term at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater.

Students admitted under the “special student” classification and online-only students are not required to attend the orientation program or to seek advising assistance.

Readmitted students should contact their assigned academic advisor or the appropriate advising location.

For ongoing advising, freshmen students (students with less than 24 units) and students who have yet to declare a major will be assigned advisors at the Academic Advising and Exploration Center.  Students majoring in Art, Music, Theater/Dance, or Media Arts and Game Design will be assigned a faculty advisor in their major department.

After reaching sophomore status (24 units), students who have declared a major will be assisted by advisors within their college or by a faculty advisor within their major department.

Students should contact their advisors for help with course selections, managing academic concerns, and career planning. Students are encouraged to discuss program options such as study abroad, as well as internships or other related work experiences.

Advising Locations:

There are many services to assist students with both academic and non-academic concerns. Please review other sections of this Catalog, or visit the UW-Whitewater website at

Changing Majors

Students with fewer than 24 units (except Art, Music, Theatre/Dance, and MAGD majors), as well as all undeclared students, process major changes at the Academic Advising & Exploration Center in Roseman Hall 2054.

Students with 24 units or more (declared majors) and all arts majors should begin the process at the department office of their major and then take the form and advising file (if available) to the department office of the new major. (The AAEC in Roseman Hall 2054 is the department office for undeclared students.)

Business majors, except freshmen, start at the Assistant Dean’s Office in the College of Business and Economics (Hyland Hall 4300).