Admission (Graduate)

In general, all persons who hold a bachelor’s or advanced degree from a regionally accredited school may register in graduate-level courses for graduate credit. Proof of a bachelor’s or higher degree is required.

Students may be admitted to a graduate degree program either in good standing or on a contingent basis. The admission status (e.g., "good standing" vs. "contingent") of all applicants from baccalaureate-granting institutions that don't employ traditional grading systems will be left to the judgment and recommendation of the graduate program to which the student is applying. Certain other special categories are established for persons not attempting to complete a degree at this institution. These special categories are "noncandidate for degree" and "guest transfer of credit."

Effective fall 2007, individuals who have earned bachelor degrees created in accordance with the European Higher Education Area (i.e., Bologna Process), or earned bachelor degrees from institutions engaged in a formal agreement with the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, will be considered admission eligible providing their academic performance in completing that degree is emblematic of future success in a graduate program (i.e., eligible to be admitted in "good standing").

Effective Fall 2017, individuals who have earned a 3-year bachelor's degree from a non-Bologna process (European Higher Education Area) university will be considered admission eligible upon satisfactory completion of an approved Master’s Bridge program. 

Approved UW-W international bridge programs:

Business Bridge (See )

Computer Science Bridge  (See )

Deficiencies in Background for Graduate Study

If a department finds that a student lacks the proper academic background for graduate studies, it may specify that deficiencies be made up before the student completes a degree.  In some cases, deficiencies may have to be made up by registering in undergraduate courses that do not count toward completion of a master's degree.

Admission in Good Standing

Requirements for admission to a degree program in good standing are as follows:

  1. A baccalaureate or higher degree from a regionally accredited institution.
  2. At least a 3.001 overall grade point average in all the graduate work previously completed at UW-Whitewater, with no grades of I or IP pending.
  3. One of the following:
    1. At least a 2.75 overall grade point average in the undergraduate degree program.
    2. At least a 2.90 grade point average in the last half of the undergraduate degree program.
    3. A master's degree or higher from an institution regionally accredited at the corresponding graduate level.
    4. At least 12 credits of graduate work completed on a regular grade basis at UW-Whitewater.
  4. Any additional requirements set by individual departments or colleges for admission to specific degree programs.

Contingent Admission

A student who does not meet the requirements for admission in good standing may be admitted to a degree program with contingent admission after furnishing credible evidence of ability to do satisfactory graduate work.

Such credibility is determined by the admitting academic department or individual program coordinator, and could be a creditable postgraduate employment record; active service as a member of the U.S. military; a satisfactory score on the Graduate Record Examination, GMAT or Miller Analogies Test; or the successful completion of graduate work at a regionally accredited institution.

Students admitted under the terms of contingent admission must earn a GPA of 3.0 for the first nine graduate credits attempted, including repeated courses.  Those failing to do so will be ineligible to take further graduate work in that degree program.

Noncandidate for Degree

Persons who hold a bachelor’s degree or a graduate degree from a regionally accredited college or university but do not wish to be admitted to a graduate degree program are classified as NCFD students. Evidence of a bachelor’s degree or an advanced degree is required for an NCFD student. This category allows the student to enroll in graduate level courses and to receive graduate credit for this work. Departments and colleges reserve the right to restrict NCFD students from their courses.

Before attempting more than 12 units as an NCFD, a student is encouraged to file an application for a degree program. Acceptance of any course work toward a graduate degree, including course work completed as an NCFD student, is at the discretion of the department. Because a graduate degree requires that the student complete a program of courses planned in consultation with an adviser, generally two-thirds or more of the course work must be completed after formal admission to the degree program. Consequently, a maximum of twelve units taken prior to admission to the program may be applied toward the completion of a degree.

Guest Transfer of Credit

Persons attending another graduate school who wish to take graduate courses at UW-Whitewater and transfer them to that institution may do so. The request for guest matriculant status form is to be completed by an official of the graduate school to which the units are to be transferred. The form certifies that the student is attending the other institution and states the provisions for approval of the work taken at UW-Whitewater toward the degree at the other institution. Students may download the Request for Guest Matriculant Status form at or contact the Graduate Studies Office.

Seniors Taking Graduate Courses

UW-Whitewater undergraduate students with senior status may be allowed to complete up to nine graduate units at UW-Whitewater provided they have completed at least 90 semester units with at least a 2.75 overall grade point average (or 2.90 over the last half of their course work), have the written recommendation of the department chairperson of their undergraduate major and have a graduate application on file in the Graduate Studies Office. The application can be found at:

Eligibility for this privilege must be established with the graduate program coordinator and Graduate Studies Office and is not available to seniors at other institutions or students who already possess a bachelor's degree. Seniors may not use graduate-level units to satisfy requirements for the bachelor's degree, and undergraduate fees will be charged for their graduate-level work.